Sunday, May 30, 2010

Aloha, Hannah! Your tropical paradise awaits...

In one week, I will be humbly and thankfully soaking in the beauty of God's creation in Hawaii! My parents are celebrating 30 years of marriage this year and thought they'd like to take a trip with their kids (I'm glad they like us well enough to include us on this adventure!) My family has never taken this kind of trip before, and I think it will be a great time to be together. I feel a little bad for my father who seems rather downtrodden at the idea that he can't take half of his library with him. My parents rarely fly anywhere, and fitting a large stash of books into a car is a little easier than in a carry-on. I spent a good deal of time in Target's luggage section trying to help him find a bag for him which would accommodate everything he can carry on the plane. I think he'll manage.

This trip will provide a wonderful opportunity to practice my modest photography skills. I intend to spend a good deal of quality time bonding with my camera...

...Along these lines, I've been seriously contemplating investing in a better camera. Can anyone offer any recommendations?

* * * * *

I just composed a list of books I'd ideally like to read this summer. It's over on the right hand side of my blog. This list does not include any summer reading I may have to do for my philosophy and English classes this fall (I'm still waiting to hear back from my professors). Any recommendations of things to add?

3 comments:

Michael Spotts: . said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michael Spotts: . said...

Asking for advice about cameras... what are you doing, baiting me? If you are considering a DSLR, I recommend buying a used Canon from a reputable reseller, like BHPhotovideo, or KEH.com. I've bought six or seven from them, never had problems, and saved hundreds of dollars on each. For instance, brand-new, the Canon 40D was $1200 (I paid that) but my friend just bought hers used for about $450. That's a fantastic camera, and most everything in my gallery was shot with it.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/michaelspotts/sets/

The bigger issue is lenses. I suggest getting a used 50mm 1.8 for portraits (it makes nice background blur) and the 18-55mm Ef-s IS, to start. Anyways, if you have questions, feel free to facebook me.

Mike:.
www.theopenlife.com
facebook.com/theopenlife

PS: Thanks for the encouraging comment on my post about prayer.

Hannah said...

Michael--

Thanks very much for the camera advice. Right now purchasing a new/used one is a bit of a pipe dream as I'm a poor college student. I'll definitely check out the places you suggested and start saving my pennies. :-)